MINUTES OF THE DERWEN COMMUNITY COUNCIL HELD ON WEDNESDAY 17TH NOVEMBER 2021 IN THE CANOLFAN CAE CYMRO COMMUNITY CENTRE, CLAWDDNEWYDD AT 7.30 P.M.
Councillor John Crowhurst (Chairman), Hywel Jones, Robert Hughes, Thomas Griffiths, Llefelys Rees together with the Clerk.
Councillors Erfyl Roberts, Gaynor Jones together with Denbighshire County Councillor Eryl Williams.
3. DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST:
4. CONFIRM THE MINUTES OF THE PREVIOUS COUNCIL MEETINGS.
Members confirmed 15th September and 13th October 2021 minutes as a true record.
5. MATTERS ARISING FROM THE MINUTES.
A: Hannah Arndt, Access and Recreation Officer of Denbighshire County Council, updated Council on the visit to the previous Council meeting from her colleague, Mr Jonathan Williams, regarding the Community Miles public footpaths within the Derwen Community Council area as follows:-
“From speaking to Jonny before and after he attended the community council meeting I know he was unsure about using the path along the bracken bank and was keen to use the lane/road as an alternative, which as you say will be accessible to more people and not require the high level of maintenance that the bracken will surely require.
We are sensitive to the availability of parking in rural areas and would not promote anywhere that is unsuitable. We do not anticipate hundreds of walkers on a daily basis coming into the village, primarily the route is for the community, however, people from other villages and outside the area may walk the routes too. If there is designated parking openly available, we would be happy to mark that on the map.”
B. the Clerk still awaits an action reply from Denbighshire County Council regarding the following highway issues:-
1: Illegal parking of a lorry and motor vehicle in front of the Maes Annedd Housing Estate in Derwen causing an obstruction. Members resolved for the Clerk to write directly to the owner of the obstructing vehicle to remove without delay.
2. Illegal dumping in the public highway lay-by by Coed-y-Foel in Derwen.
3. Relocate the 30 mile per hour sign on the B5105 in Clawddnewydd from outside Ty Clawddnewydd to next to the Clawddnewydd village name plate in the direction of Ruthin in order to capture the speed restriction before the first property within Clawddnewydd village.
6. CLAWDDNEWYDD POND UPDATE.
After the completion of the first phase of cleaning the Clawddnewydd Pond the Members resolved to hold an open morning at the pond site on Saturday 27th November 2021 between 9 and 11 a.m. to determine any further works on site.
Councillor Hywel Jones has consulted with Ms Mandy Cartwright, North Wales Officer of Amphibian and Reptile Conservation, to check if there any restrictions on any future works on the pond. Councillor Jones had no reply from Ms Cartwright.
7. COMMUNITY EVENTS.
A. the Community Bonfire event took place on Saturday 6th November 2021 at the Canolfan Cae Cymro Community Centre in Clawddnewydd and was well attended. Members thanked Councillor Hywel Jones for organising the successful event under the Covid-19 rules and regulations.
B. the Remembrance Sunday Service on 14th November 2021 to take place at the War Memorial in Derwen at 10.45 a.m. and the Chairman presented the “Poppy Wreath” on behalf of the Community Council. The Chairman reported that the service was well attended and thanked the participants for their valued input to the service. As there was no Religious Minister available to conduct the service, members resolved to consider the appointment of the service Minister earlier on in the 2022 year.
C. Councillor Hywel Jones agreed to consult with the local Natural Resources Wales personnel to consider providing Christmas Trees and lights for the villages of Derwen and Clawddnewydd.
8. FINANCE ISSUES.
A. Bank balances:-
1. Rates Accounts £16,004.25.
2. Clawddnewydd Pond Account £1,644.04.
B. Authorised bill payments:-
1. Winserve Ltd. for two website fees (£47.99 & £14.39) £62.38.
2. White Oak Property Services for three monthly £70.00 community grass cutting contracts £210.00.
3. Morgans of Ruthin for the Community Fireworks event £422.94.
4. Royal British Legion gor the Remembrance Sunday Poppy Wreath £50.00.
5. Canolfan Cae Cymro for two Council meetings £52.00.
6. E. Jones & Son, Clawddnewydd for the recent Clawddnewydd Pond Work £2,280.00.
9. PLANNING APPLICATIONS.
A: Application: 12/2021/1036 – Erection of an agricultural building for the housing of Free Range Poultry (Egg Production), installation of feed bins and associated works at Braich-yr-Alarch, Clawddnewydd. Members resolved on the following observations:-
1. Fully supports the concerns raised by the resident of Glan Aber, Derwen dated 31st October 2021 which should be addressed by the Planning Authority.
2. Fully supports the concerns raised by Natural Resources Wales which should be addressed by the Planning Authority.
B. Application: 12/2021/1044 – Conversion and refurbishment of existing building to form a holiday let at Church House, Derwen – no objections.
C, Planning Application: 12/2021/1045 – Conversion and refurbishment of existing building to form a holiday let (Listed Building Application) at Church House, Derwen – no objections.
D. Denbighshire County Council has granted planning permission on the following planning applications:-
1. Application: 12/2021/0814 – alterations to fenestration of dwelling, erection of porch, conversion of garage to habitable space and associated works at 23 Trem-y-Coed,
2. Planning Application: 12/2021/0931 – Erection of a workshop/garage outbuilding at Tyddyn Isaf, Derwen.
A: Mr Darren Millar, Member of the Senedd for Clwyd West, would like to attend a future Derwen Community Council meeting.
B. Mr Philip Burrows, Digital Officer of Denbighshire County Council, would like to attend a future Derwen Community Council meeting.
C. Mrs Helen Moller, member of the Friends of Friendless Churches provided members with an information pack on the “Platinum Jubilee of Elizabeth II” in relation to St. Mary’s Church in Derwen. Members resolved to further discuss the contents at the next Council meeting after digesting the contents of the information pack.
Councillor Hywel Jones kindly agreed to price up the costs of planting a remembrance Oak Tree and Cherry Tree in Derwen.
11. DISCUSSION WITH THE MEMBERS OF THE PUBLIC IN ATTENDANCE.
Mr Jonathan Greaves MBE reported on the following with regards to the Derwen Church Cemetery:-
A: Denbighshire County Council are in the process of supplying an additional waste litter bin in Derwen Village by the War Memorial.
B. The cost of 2022 Derwen Church Cemetery will be increased to £450.00. Members agreed to the increase.
12. HIGHWAY ISSUES.
Members resolved for the Clerk to report the potholes by Nant Ucha, Derwen highway.
13. URGENT MATTERS UNDER SECTION 100B(4) OF THE LOCAL GOVERNMENT ACT 1972.
There were no urgent matters for consideration.
14. NEXT COUNCIL MEETING – WEDNESDAY 19TH JANUARY 2022.